How Much Does a Camping Tent Cost?
Price Range for different types of tents range from $30 all the way up to $1000+
Camping is a favorite pastime shared by many people, old and young. Spending time outdoors reduces stress and invigorates the body. Other benefits of camping include building new skills, strengthening personal relationships, and educational opportunities for kids. If YOU like to camp, you surely will invest in a camping tent. Consider the type of camping you like to do, the weather you’ll encounter, the number of people on your trip, and how quick you want to set up the tent. Know your budget and look for features that meet your needs. Here’s a selection of the most common tents.
Dome Tents are very popular and are made up of two flexible poles that cross at the top of the dome and bend to be anchored to the floor. Many dome tents will have a small porch are and are best suited to up to four people.
Normal Cost: $39.99 – $199
· Cabelas.com sells the Bass Pro Shops® Eclipse Dome Tent featuring a shock-corded fiberglass-pole frame and No-See-Um mesh panels in the roof and door from $39.99 – $99.99, the Cabela’s West Wind™ 4-Person Dome Tent for $199.99 that is color-coded for easy set-up, the Coleman® Sundome™ 6-Person Tent on sale for $129.99 which is water-resistant and includes an expandable carry bag, and the Alps Mountaineering® Taurus 4-Person Tent featuring an easy to set-up free-standing two-pole frame, extra-large zippers, and 2 doors for entering and exiting, for $169.99.
Tunnel Tents are ideal for larger groups and families. They provide the most headroom and plenty of livable space. They are made up of a series of flexible poles that loop from one side of the tent to the other to form a tunnel shape.
Normal Cost: $125 – $350
· Ebay.com sells the Coleman Rocky Mountain 5+ Tunnel Tent – 5 Person, Green, with Blackout Windows for $337.28, the Ozark Trail 16′ x 9′ Modified Dome Tunnel Tent, with Large Mesh Panels, Front and Back Door, Pockets and Electrical Port Access, Ground Vents, Carry Bag and Tent Stakes, Sleeps 10, Gray/Green for $114.47, the Portal Outdoor Gamma 5 Spacious Large Tunnel Tent with Storage Bag in Charcoal/Orange for $251.74, the Coleman Elite WeatherMaster 6 Screened Tent for $209.44, and the Easy Camp Hurricane 500 Inflatable Tunnel Tent – 5 Person, 3 Rooms, Light/Dark Blue, 120254 for $153.99.
Check out this video on some of the best camping tents.
Geodesic Tents are essentially a dome tent with more poles. They are suited to camping out in the wilderness and for winter camping, and are generally higher quality. They are best suited to up to 4 people.
Normal Cost: $39.99 – $125
· Ebay.com sells the Ozark Trail Mountain Pass Aluminum Geo Frame Tent, Sleeps 2, for only $49.18, the Mountain Pass Geo Frame, 2-Persons Tent, Waterproof, All-season Camping Shelter for $56.99, the BASS PRO SHOPS GEO DOME TENT, Two Person 5x7x4’ Mosquito Net, Waterproof Floor for $39.99, and the CAMP TRAILS GEO DOME Tent, 4 Person STAR GAZER 7x8x5’, Mosquito Net Meteor Shower for $119.
Cabin Tents/Multi-room Tents are made up of aluminum poles to create the frame of what looks like a cabin. A waterproof polyester or nylon rainfly encases the frame to form walls and a roof which provides lots of livable space. They are often divided into rooms with dividers, making them ideal for family camping.
Normal Cost: $250 – $1000+
· Familytentcamping.com specializes in family tents like the 26 x 8ft. Kodiak Grand Cabin 12 Person Canvas Tent with Awning for $1,299, the Coleman Tenaya Lake Fast Pitch 8 Person Cabin Tent with Closet for $264.49, the Trek Tent 247 Canvas 10 Person Cabin Tent for $663, the Wenzel Kodiak 9 Person Cabin Multi Room Tent (Blue) on sale for $209, the Oztent RX-5 Deluxe 2 Room Tent featuring a Skymesh Skylight, Full Height inside, and Fully Waterproof for $1,499.99, and the Luxurious BushTec Adventure Meru Echo 2200 3 Room Camping Tent with 10 ft. High Double Ceiling, Built In Chimney Port, and Plumbing Available to transform the 3rd room into a Bathroom, Shower or Kitchenette! This BushTec family tent sells for $4,990.
Pop-Up Tents can be set up instantly! They are best suited for those camping infrequently or in summer and favorable conditions.
Normal Cost: $35 – $90
· Ebay.com sells the Coleman 2-Person Pop-Up Tent for $48.60, the Diamond Candy Pop-Up Tent for 2-3 Person, Waterproof for $69.99, the Weanas Easy Pop-Up Tent, Instant Automatic 4-6 Person Family Camping Tent, Easy Quick Setup, for Camping, Hiking and Traveling with Carrying Bag for $89.99, the URPRO Instant Automatic Pop-Up Camping Tent, 2-3 Persons Lightweight Tent, Waterproof Windproof, UV Protection, Perfect for the Beach, Traveling, Hiking, Camping, Hunting, & Fishing for only $34.90, the DESERT & FOX 3-4 Person Pop-Up Tent, Automatic Instant Setup, for the Beach, Camping, & Hiking for $89.40, and the BZTANG Explorer Outdoors 3-4 Persons Camouflage Camping & Hiking, Easy Setup, Instant Pop up Tent for $39.99.
Backpacking Tents are designed to be carried and lived in for multiple days while hiking in remote places. They are lightweight, strong, able to withstand the elements and usually fit 1 – 3 campers.
Normal Cost: $200 – $900
· REI.com sells the REI Co-op Half Dome 2 Plus Tent for $229, the Kelty Grand Mesa 2 Tent for $111.73, the Marmot Tungsten 2P Tent with Footprint for $199, the Big Agnes C Bar 2 Tent on clearance for $149.93, the 3 Season The North Face Stormbreak 2 Tent for $159.99, the 3 Season Marmot Catalyst 2P Tent with Footprint, including 2 Vestibules for $183, the 3 Season NEMO Hornet 2 Tent for $369.95, (including a stuff sack, stakes, guyout cord and repair kit), the 4 Season Mountain Hardwear Trango 4 Tent for $920, engineered to shelter up to 4 climbers in unrelenting conditions, the Ultra Lightweight Big Agnes Tiger Wall 3 Carbon Tent for $1,199.95, and the 4 Season The North Face VE 25 Tent with Footprint for $749.
Beach Tents are great for nights at the beach! They have UV protection, built in floors, and sand pockets for staking.
Typical Cost: $30 – $80
· Ebay.com sells the Venustas Beach Tent Beach Umbrella Outdoor Sun Shelter, Canopy Cabana, UPF 50+ Sun Shade, Easy Set, 3-4 Person, Lightweight and Easy to Carry, for $39.99, the Pacific Breeze Easy Setup Beach Tent Deluxe XL for $99.99, and the KAZOO Outdoor Family Tent, Durable, Lightweight, Waterproof, Easy Setup, Beach Screen & Sun Shade, 3 Person, for $89.90.